If you are considering a new pet then you begin to think, why not two? You may also wonder if it would be possible to raise a cat and a dog together comfortably. Our Deer Park Animal Hospital vets discuss raising a puppy and kitten together and why it can be a great idea to make this decision.
Deciding To Raise a Puppy and Kitten Together
As exciting as getting a new pet is, it is also scary due to all of the changes that will come along with them, and what if you decide to bring home more than one new pet? What if your new pets are both a cat and a dog? When dogs and cats are introduced properly at a young age, the hate and fear instinct doesn't have the chance to grow and increase in them so they can overcome it a lot faster. This is not always the cause, it can depend on the breed but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be the perfect match for each other.
Our Deer Park Animal Hospital vets will explain why raising a puppy and kitten at the same time can be good for your pets.
What Are Some Benefits of Raising a Puppy and Kitten Together?
Puppies and Kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons including:
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keep Each other Company- When you have to leave the house your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can a Puppy and Kitten Live Happily Together?
One benefit of raising a puppy and a kitten together is that they will most likely be the best of friends for life. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Certain types of dogs -- those with a strong prey drive -- aren't usually good with felines. Think twice about keeping any kind of terrier, sighthound, or husky with cats. Spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good with kittens.
The biggest thing you need to remember when you decide to raise a puppy and kitten together is that they will both need routine veterinary care and exams in order to help them live the best life possible.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.